T he Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees the assistance of counsel for the accused in criminal prosecutions. Every accused has the right to be represented by an attorney in a criminal trial and if he or she cannot afford an attorney, the government will appoint an attorney at no cost to the defendant.
The attorney’s duties are to
- Advise the defendant of his rights and explain the criminal process
- Ensure the court proceedings follow the law and that the defendant’s constitutional rights are protected
- Negotiate for plea bargaining when appropriate
- Zealously r epresent the defendant at trial
The duties of the private defense attorney and/or the appointed public defender attorney are equal.
Write a four to five page paper to the topic:
- Compare and contrast the legal representation by a private defense attorney versus a public defender?
- Does money buy a better defense?