FED GOV’T (REX) CHOOSE 1
Argumentative Essay #1 Submission Link
For your first essay, choose from of the following prompts below as it relates to Chapters 1-3:
1. To what extent should the government be involved in social issues? Choose a specific example to support your opinion.
2. Were the British justified in taxing the colonists before the rebellion? Is taxation the most reliable form of funding government activities? Why or why not?
3. What specific provisions in the Constitution govern the federalist relationship in the United States? How instrumental was the Supreme Court in developing federalism? Would the current court still uphold federalism in the same way?
The papers should have the following elements:
- Choose from one of three prompts provided. After choosing your prompt, formulate a thesis statement. The thesis statement must be in the introductory paragraph and be the main argument of your essay. The remainder of your essay must explain and defend your argument as stated in the introduction. Do not use first person (I, me, my, etc.).
- Be sure to properly cite within the text (according to MLA style) any information that you obtained from one of your sources. Citations must be provided, even for paraphrased information.
Present your argument on the political issue. Think critically about the position you choose and defend and clearly express your thoughts about it in writing. Consider eight standards for critical thinking (Paul and Elder, 2103): clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic, and fairness. Ask questions, such as
- How can I validate the accuracy of my statement?
- How is this information relevant?
- How does my conclusion address the complexities of the issue?
- What is another interpretation or viewpoint of the issue?
- Does my conclusion follow from the data and/or statements I have provided?