SLO #1: Civil Rights Versus Civil Liberties. 70% Of Students Will Successfully Analyze The Nuances Between Civil Liberties And Civil Rights, As Well As How The Judicial Branch Interprets Them. [SLO #1 Fulfills The Following Program Level Outcomes: Commu
Civil liberties and civil rights are mechanical components that have tremendous influence on the way we live our life. Each category can be applied in different situations, to identify different experiences for each individual. People in the USA are beginning to question whether democracy is worth fighting for as more instances are identified in which human beings find themselves ‘above the law’.
In chapters 4 and 5, we have explored the evolution of civil liberties and civil rights in America. Our ideas of what these concepts mean change over time, as new issues and problems challenge our thinking.
For this assignment, I want you to understand the difference between civil rights and liberties and then look at contemporary areas of CONFLICT between civil rights and civil liberties. We are going to focus in on the 4th Amendment.
Then, research and consider each of the following for your paper:
- What is the difference between civil right and civil liberties?
- How have the courts ruled on them throughout history?
- Does the Terry Stop violate a person’s rights? Explain. Do we have any inherent (Constitutional) privacy rights that would protect us from these type of issues? How has the Supreme Court decided on the following, with regards to our rights?
- GPS Surveillance on a suspect’s vehicle without their knowledge. Is a search warrant required? Explain.
- Using drug-sniffing dogs in the front yard around someone’s home. Is a search warrant required? Explain.
- DUI checkpoints. Is a search warrant required? Explain.
- Does profiling take place? Based on your research, how do you think profiling may impact law enforcement decisions? Are there any potentialities of violating our civil liberties or civil rights with regards to this profiling? What has the Supreme Court decided in cases that have been brought before them on this issue?
- What are your final thoughts with regards to civil rights and civil liberties? Do you feel they are in-tact or starting to dismantle? Explain.
This assignment must follow MLA guidelines, be typed in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, and be a minimum of 1000 words with a works cited page. The works cited are not included in the minimum word count. Any videos/ articles given in the assignment prompt MUST be used within your paper and cited in your works cited. You must also use additional sources, as indicated in the prompt. For more information on these topics, view the 4th Amendment folder in the current news and controversies folder, under Student Resources.
Program-Level Objectives met with this assignment:(PLO: 1.1,2,5,6)
1: Communication Skills-to include effective development, interpretation and expression of ideas through written, oral and visual communication
1.Written: Process and produce effective written communication adapted to the audience, purpose, and time constraints.
2: Critical Thinking Skills-to include creative thinking, innovation, inquiry, and analysis, evaluation and synthesis of information
5: Personal Responsibility-to include the ability to connect choices, actions, and consequences to ethical decision-making
6: Social Responsibility-to include intercultural competence, knowledge of civic responsibility, and the ability to engage effectively in regional, national, and global communities
5.Evaluate the role of public opinion, interest groups, and political parties in the political system.
6. Analyze the election process.
7. Describe the rights and responsibilities of citizens
8. Analyze issues and policies in U.S. politics